Memorial Day Weekend Road Closures | Transportation
From John Lisle: The Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) and the U.S. Park Police have provided the following information about temporary road closures for events scheduled over the Memorial Day weekend.
United House of Prayer for All People Memorial Day Parade
On Saturday, May 26, 2012, the United House of Prayer for All People will hold its annual Memorial Day parade. This event will begin at 10:00 am and will conclude at approximately 3:00 pm. The parade will take place along the following route:
- Begin: 6th & M Streets, NW
- North on 6th Street to S Street, NW
- West on S Street to 13th Street, NW
- South on 13th Street to Logan Circle, NW
- Southwest around Logan Circle to P Street, NW
- East on P Street to 7th Street, NW
- South on 7th Street to M Street, NW
- East on M Street to 6th Street, NW where the parade will end
Thunder Alley Event
On Saturday, May 26th and Sunday May 27th from 11:00 am-5:00 pm, the Thunder Alley event will take place. It is the official vending location for Rolling Thunder. The following street closures will be in effect:
- 22nd Street between Constitution Avenue and C Street, NW.
Rolling Thunder Motorcycle Ride
On Sunday, May 27, 2012 the annual Rolling Thunder Rally will take place. The event will begin at approximately 11:00 am and will conclude at approximately 5:00 pm. The motorcycle ride will proceed along the following route:
- Beginning in the North Pentagon parking lot (Virginia)
- Crossing the Arlington Memorial Bridge into DC to 23rd Street, NW
- North on 23rd Street to Constitution Avenue, NW
- East on Constitution Avenue to Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
- East on Pennsylvania Avenue to 3rd Street, NW
- South on 3rd Street to Independence Avenue, NW
- West on Independence Avenue to West Basin Drive, NW
- Southwest on West Basin Drive to Ohio Drive, NW
- Northwest on Ohio Drive to Franklin D. Roosevelt Park, NW, where the ride will end.
Memorial Day Parade
On Monday, May 28th, 2012, the National Memorial Day Parade will take place from 2:00 pm until 5:00 pm. The streets along the following route will be closed from 5:00 am until 7:00 pm.
- Starting from 7th Street & Madison Drive, ending at 17th Street & Constitution Avenue, NW
- Also closed: 7th Street from Constitution Avenue to Independence Avenue, NW
Motorists traveling in the area of both of these events may encounter traffic delays and heavy pedestrian traffic due to the extended road closures. In addition to the roads listed above, many roads leading to these processional routes may be closed as well. Please use extreme caution when driving in these areas.
All street closures and listed times are subject to change based upon prevailing or unexpected conditions.